How to Seek Compensation After a Drunk Driving Accident

Car Accident

Unfortunately, drunk driving accidents frequently occur in many states. In New Jersey, driving under the influence contributed to more than 22% of the fatal accidents in 2018. If you were hurt in a drunk driving accident, then you could be entitled to compensation for your injuries, medical expenses, and pain and suffering. However, you may face an uphill battle when attempting to collect compensation. If this is the case for you, then you need an experienced drunk driving victim’s attorney on your side.

Below, we discuss filing a personal injury lawsuit and what a drunk driving victim should know about seeking compensation after an accident.

Understanding Legal Options for New Jersey Drunk Driving Accidents

When seeking compensation after a drunk driving accident, your car accident attorney will examine every possible angle. Since New Jersey is a no-fault state, a driver’s Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage pays for medical expenses that are caused by the crash. However, this is not the only avenue for receiving a recovery. You may also have the option to file a personal injury lawsuit.

Personal Injury Lawsuit

You may sue the drunk driver and his insurance carrier for damages. If your damages exceed the drunk driver’s insurance policy limits, you may be able to sue for underinsured motorist benefits against another car insurance policy that may be available under the circumstances.

You may also collect money for non-economic damages, such as pain and suffering or emotional distress if you had a permanent injury or had an unlimited right to sue on your auto insurance.

In some situations, you can even sue for punitive damages. These damages attempt to punish the drunk driver for their actions and dissuade others from making the same mistake.

Speaking with an experienced New Jersey car accident lawyer can help you understand your legal options.

Dram Shop Liability

In some cases, you can file a lawsuit against the bar or establishment that served the drunk driver. This is called Dram Shop Liability. Per New Jersey law, establishments that serve liquor to underage drinkers or already visibly intoxicated customers can be held liable. However, proving Dram Shop Liability is a difficult task. As such, you need a New Jersey car accident attorney with experience handling these kinds of cases.

How Can a Drunk Driving Victims Attorney Help?

In order to recover compensation after a drunk driving accident, you may need to file a civil lawsuit. Many people are inclined to think that their case is being handled by law enforcement. However, the police’s interests, among others, are investigating the crash and criminally prosecuting the drunk driver. This is not the same as filing a civil claim, and if needed, a civil lawsuit in an attempt to obtain compensation for the injured person. To do that, you need a drunk driving victim’s attorney to help you understand your legal options. At Rosner Law Offices, P.C., we help our clients seek the compensation they deserve by:

  • Reviewing the details of the crash,
  • Filing a lawsuit on behalf of our client when necessary and
  • Fighting aggressively at trial and for negotiated settlements.

Contact a New Jersey Car Accident Attorney Today for a Free Consultation

At Rosner Law Offices, P.C., we get results and are fully dedicated to serving accident victims and their families throughout southern New Jersey. Our car accident attorneys have helped hundreds of clients across Southern New Jersey, including in Vineland, Bridgeton, Millville, Deptford, and the surrounding areas.

If you were injured after a drunk driving accident, then you should know where you can turn for help. An attorney with our firm can help you get through this difficult time. Call or text our office today at (856) 502-1655 or submit an online form to schedule a free initial consultation.

Related Posts
  • The Importance of Seeking Medical Care After an Accident Read More
  • How to Avoid Mistakes After a Car Accident Read More
  • What to Do After a New Jersey Car Accident That Is Not Your Fault Read More